Friday 29 November 2013

Gran Canaria

Getting up early I made my way back to the airport and took a bus to the city centre of Las Palmas. The priorities were to find a CSer who'd host me and to find a marina/port. Few minutes wandering about I met this lovely prostitute who, with a big smile, showed me the nearest "ciber cafe". Being unlucky in Portugal and Spain when looking for a place to stay paid off here as I found a host almost immediatelly. Her name's Anna, semi Spanish, semi Swedish girl who has moved to Las Palmas to look for a boat. And she had already found hers. She was leaving with the ARC (Atlantic Rally for Cruisers) on 24.11.. She provided very good start for me and became a helpful advisor. I improved my advert, but that I knew that was not so important. The main aim is to go around the marina, try to sneak inside a pontoon and talk to people. And that requires a large dose of patience and an everlasting and authentic smile. Though I must say that the majority of people are kind and at least try to give another tip on how to succeed. In Las Palmas' marina there is also a bar called Sailors Bar and it's frequently packed with sailors and boathitchhikers(BH). Apart from good atmosphere one can also find there many grumpy waitresses and not so good pizza. Here in the bar or around the marina I met so many BHs like me willing to cross Atlantic and we can quickly become close friends sharing very similar values in life. And so spirits rise up high and it comes easier to search if we can also share some positive energy.
Few days after my arrival I was wandering around the pontoons where I saw a nice Lagoon 380 catamaran with a Swedish couple on board which seemed to be freshly docked. And so I tried to greet them through the pontoon gate as they were parked first on the left side. The girl greeted me back and said something in Swedish to the guy, who got off the boat and opened the gate for me. He introduced himself as Daniel, his wife Anna and their little dog Vera. They were the first people to invite me on their boat. And so we talked briefly about our missions and concluded that we should meet again. We met few days later at the Sailors', drank beer and shared some crazy stories... I offered my hand to help with whatever needed and so I got myself a carpentering task.
To buy a marine plywood one must travel across the city to the very far end and once there it only opens every now-and-then.The taks itself was pleasant for me as I enjoy working with wood. I also helped Dani with water maker instalment. All succesfull, I could live few nights on board with my captain and captainess.
While on Gran Canaria I met an old friend Chcipo and his girl down in Maspalomas, few days of chillout throughout their busy routine Chcipo gave me an opportunity(for very friendly price) to pass PADI Scuba diver course. I'm sure that it will pay back.
Couple of days spent in the west of the island, Tamadaba National Park was my destination, and its picturesque pine forests with some beautiful crags and bouldery sport climbing. I've met nice locals and two guys from Tenerife, Dani and Gorge, with whom I climbed for 2 days. With couple of 7a problems I indeed surprised myself that I'm still able to push hard enough! Before reaching the climbing spot I spent a night in a little village called Tajegisto where I was well looked after by friendly locals, given beer, food and spanish lesson, then taken home by one of them to sleep in a humble cave apartment. Breakfast made out of fresh eggs and homegrown herb tea got me ready for a 4 hour hike towards Pinar de Tamadaba.
In Las Palmas I also discovered few squats leaving me with mixed feelings. Quite nice places, though some strange evenings/events with unfriendly attitude amongst inhabitants. Still they let me stay there for 3 nights, the roof over my head and warm shower proved luxurious.

No comments:

Post a Comment