Wednesday 22 July 2015

Another border crossed, another bread baked

I've almost forgot how good it feels to break a language barrier. My Spanish is far from great but I am able to express and explain what I need, ask about the words I don't understand and so learn their meaning. My memory is still happily absorbing or perhaps replacing the old unused items...
Since I came to Ecuador I've met quite few Colombians majority of which said that their home country is better. Well might I disagree giving both countries equal marks but let me be more constructive:
Ecuador:
+ people here, in general, are more relaxed; it's easier to hitch-hike (=more confidence in strangers); slightly more organised (infrastructure in general, etc.);
- bad at giving directions (oh dear, they make me walk a mile more everyday:)
Colombia:
+ much better food hygiene and portions (yes, I do need to eat a lot); more party, less "gringo" syndrome
- chaos (have you ever been to Bogota?)
First 2 days in Ecuador I spent in Atuntaqui with my CS host Carlos, I did a few hour easy trek between Cascadas de Peguche and Lago de San Pablo plus a short visit of Otavalo and its traditional clothing(which I find very nice, especially on women) and handy crafts market.
Then I proceeded to Quito where I was hosted by Alexis, a crazy fellow climber who happened to have a birthday party during my time there and so I prepared very traditional Slovakian apple crumble with custard after digestion of which everybody got peacefully drunk & merry. Following day I escaped just moments before the chaos bringing Pope could catch me there.
Next stop was at Cojitambo, small village north of Cuenca, where I met famous local climber Juan Gabriel (but also a guide and refugio owner who gave me a lot of advice on the local climbing, climate, customs and more) and climbed some beautiful routes (120m 6b slab&crack FS onsight - rush as it should be, felt calm days after!!!;).
In the meantime I arranged for yet another volunteering experience at a guesthouse on the beach in Santa Marianita near Manta where I arrived few days later. Clean and tranquil beach provided for a pleasant stay and the
Donkey Den guesthouse for breakfast and shelter exchanging it for 5 hours a day of easy work. We even managed to rescue an injured donkey and so it officially became a donkey den! On one night occasion I even worked as a waiter and served some birthday celebrating guests (yes,in Spanish language). It was fun and I earned 20USD. I am rich again! And Joey, a friend I made in Donkey Den, taught me how to make bread from my own sour dough and it was a great success, may I become a baker too.
Later visited the famous surf&party Montanita but soon ran away to Parque Nacional El Cajas where the weather wasn't great but the forest was truly magical and its landscape spectacular, beautiful waterfactory!
Continued back to Cuenca and Cojitambo, climbed some more and now in Loja finishing this blog entry, on my way to Vilcabamba where it's supposed to be nice but touristy, let's see...
pic srcs:
http://viajeaecuador.es/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Cascda-de-Peguche.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Otavalo_market.JPGhttp://www.turismoenfotos.com/archivos/temp/5012/400_1275314908_cascada-de-peguche-ecuador.jpg
https://arutamecotours.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/rockclimbing.jpg
http://ecuadorbeaches.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Santa-Marianita-East.gif
http://www.ecuavisa.com/sites/ecuavisa.com/files/styles/ampliada/public/fotos/2013/07/cajas.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed, on he first picture, they're using the blue light electric insect killer. It makes a cool sound when an insect is burnt by the current, doesn't it? You wouldn't see much of those here, we don't have much insect =D....
    In fact we have hardly any left and the one that is around is the one overpopulated due to the imbalance. The one eating our vegetables and sucking fruit trees. But that's alright, we humans are smart (asses) we got stuff to take care of this, we've got chemicals, sprays, powders... But who will be pollinating???.. =( oh, I never thought that far. I thought the supermarkets do... And why everyone get cancer, why!!?...

    Dear Rado, truth can be painful, for some unbearable. I wish you are never brought down by the phenomenon described as ''ignorance is bliss'' once you return back to our lovely conveniently safe western society full of cheap food and expensive NHS treatments.

    ReplyDelete